Check NSFAS Application Status Online 2023-2024 at www.nsfas.org.za
Last updated: May 26, 2023
The NSFAS application portal can be accessed here: www.nsfas.org.za, where you can create a myNSFAS Account and apply. According to the instructions, complete the application and perform an NSFAS status check.
How do I Check My NSFAS Application Status?
Your application for 2023 will be approved or denied through SMS or email from NSFAS. If your application has been “Provisionally Funded” for the 2023-2024 academic year, you need to log on to the “myNSFAS Account Portal”.
To ask more about NSFAS Applications 2023/2024, please contact NSFAS, which is responsible for all applications and registrations.
How Do I Check NSFAS Status Using ID Number?
You’ll need to know how to track your application progress if you’ve applied for funding through NSFAS (National Student Financial Aid Scheme). The easiest way to track your NSFAS application status using id number is to log into your online account.
Logging into your MyNSFAS account allows you to www.nsfas.org.za status check of your application if you have already created one. The steps are as follows:
- Log into your NSFAS portal at my nsfas.org.za
- Please enter your ID number or username and password
- Click “SIGN IN”
- Click on Track Funding Progress
Once your application has been submitted, you will be able to view its status.
While students can use their email addresses instead of their ID numbers for logging into the student portal, their ID numbers serve as their usernames.
How To Check Nsfas Status Using Reference Number?
Do NSFAS Status Check using your reference number, you can follow these steps:
- Visit the official NSFAS website at www.nsfas.org.za using a web browser on your computer or mobile device.
- Click on the “MyNSFAS Account” link, which is usually located in the top right-hand corner of the website’s homepage.
- If you already have an account, log in using your email address and password. If you do not have an account, click on the “Register” link to create a new account.
- Once logged in, navigate to the “Check Status” or “Application Status” section, which may be found under the “My Applications” or “My Funding Applications” tab.
- Enter your reference number in the designated field. Your reference number is a unique identifier that was provided to you when you submitted your NSFAS application.
- Click on the “Submit” or “Check Status” button to retrieve your NSFAS application status.
- Your NSFAS application status will be displayed on the screen, indicating whether it is still being processed, approved, or declined. You may also receive additional details about your funding amount and other related information.
If you encounter any issues or have further questions, it is recommended to contact NSFAS directly through their official website or helpline for assistance.
NSFAS Application Dates 2023-2024 & How to Re-Apply
You can apply for NSFAS funding for 2023 by checking out the offers below
Please complete the NSFAS Online Application form for 2023 by 28 September 2022 if you are planning to study at a university or TVET college in South Africa. A list of application dates can be found on the NSFAS website. Visit www.nsfas.org.za apply 2023 for more information about the online application portal
It is imperative that prospective students visit NSFAS’s official website and other social media pages when the application period opens and closes. Application deadlines must be met during the prescribed application period. The deadline for 2023 applications has passed. Applications received after that date will not be accepted.
Applications for 2023 NSFAS admission at the universities and TVET colleges of their choice should be submitted before the deadline for 2023 admission approaches. You can find all 2023 updates on NSFAS platforms.
How Can I Apply For NSFAS Bursary Application in 2023?
Through the online application portal 2023-2024, you can apply for NSFAS for the 2023-2024 academic year.
- To apply online, please visit www.nsfas.org.za apply 2023
- The next step is to create an account with myNSFAS.
- Click “Apply” on the NSFAS website
- Before proceeding with the NSFAS online application 2023-2024, please make sure that all the information is current
- NSFAS supporting documents should be uploaded for the 2023 application.
- Click “SUBMIT” once you have completed the process.
Also, read SIU Findings On Unduly Funded Beneficiaries
NSFAS 2023 applications must be completed and submitted online if you would like to apply for the program. If your application is incomplete, it will not be processed and you cannot be funded by NSFAS.
It is likely that prospective students will be able to apply for NSFAS funding from 28 September 2022 to 31 January 2023. The following information is needed if you wish to apply for NSFAS 2023.
- Application for NSFAS 2023-2024
- NSFAS Application Status 2023
- NSFAS Application Status 2024
When are NSFAS Applications for 2023 opening?
Nsfas application 2023 opening date is 28 September 2022 until 31 January 2023, students can apply online for the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS 2023). Applicants for NSFAS 2023 should submit their applications by 31 January 2023 at my nsfas.org.za. Applications received after 31 January 2023 will not be accepted.
Application for NSFAS 2023: Required documents for NSFAS 2023
The following information will be required for the NSFAS Bursary Online Application for 2023-2024:
- An email address and a cellphone number are essential
- Please provide a copy of your ID or birth certificate
- You should also include a copy of your parent’s, guardian’s, or spouse’s ID
- If applicable, you must provide proof of your income or IRP5.
- Your parents, guardians, or spouse must provide proof of income
- For SASSA grant recipients, no proof of income is required.
- All applicants with disabilities must sign and complete Disability Annexure A
- All applicants who have been identified by the Department of Social Development as vulnerable children must also submit a signed Vulnerable Child Declaration and Consent Form.
You can also read full guide here Documents You Need For Your NSFAS 2023 Application
How to check NSFAS application status
You should follow the steps below to check NSFAS Application Status for 2023:
- For more information on NSFAS Status, please visit www.nsfas.org.za
- Create an account if you do not already have one or sign in to your myNSFAS account.
- Enter your User ID here
- Please enter your password.
- The “Track Funding Progress” link allows you to track the progress of your NSFAS 2023 application.
Moreover, you can check the guide on Documents Must Be Submitted For NSFAS Appeals here
NSFAS Application for TVET Colleges 2023
During the release of the National Senior Certificate results in 2023, the NSFAS application system is expected to open from 28 September 2022 to 31 January 2023.
Cycles for NSFAS applications
- Every year, at the beginning of semester 1 and trimester 1, the National Certificate Vocation (NC(v)) application is available online and in person.
- Walk-in applications for assistive capture during trimesters 2 and 3 of the DHET calendar in May and September
- Between June and July, walk-in applications for assistive capture will be accepted
Five Facts About NSFAS in 2023
- There is no need to repay NSFAS funding after 2018
- Applicants can study towards their first degree until their fifties or even their thirties under NSFAS.
- Over the course of the year, the NSFAS allowance is paid every first week of the month for ten months
- It was started to make tertiary education more equitable and fair for students from disadvantaged backgrounds who are academically strong
- A total of 690 000 students will be funded by NSFAS in 2023
How to apply for TVET College funding in 2023?
Here are the ways in which you can apply:
- Bursary offices at TVET colleges
- Office of NSFAS
The NSFAS requirements for TVET colleges in 2023
- South African citizens are the only ones eligible for this bursary scheme
- Public TVET colleges offering PLP, NC(V), or Report 191 programs in South Africa are required to register students.
- Eligibility for financial assistance will be determined by an NSFAS evaluation of a student’s financial need.
- The College’s progress policy or the Bursary Rules and Guidelines (whichever is higher) dictate how students must demonstrate their academic performance upon returning to the College.
- If a candidate has previously received state-funded education, enrolling in a qualification that duplicates that education would not be advisable
- If an applicant is accepted/receives a firm offer of enrollment in a college, their family income must not exceed R350,000 per year.
Also, read Unisa NSFAS Allowances
Courses Funded by NSFAS in 2023
In addition to a public university and TVET college courses offered online, NSFAS only funds first undergraduate degrees.
They fund the following courses:
- Hospitality, Tourism, Travel, Gaming, and Leisure
- Human Resources
- Industrial & Organizational Governance and HR Development
- Information Studies
- Information Technology and Computer Science
- Justice in society
- Life sciences
- Manufacturing and assembly
- Mathematical Sciences
- Media Studies
- Nature conservation
- Occupationally Directed ETD Practice
- Office Administration
- People-/human-centered Development
- Performing arts
- Personal care
- Physical Planning, Design, and Management
- Physical Sciences
- Preventive health
- Process Instrumentation
- Primary agriculture
- Process Plant Operations
- Project Management
- Promoting health and developmental services
- Public Administration
- Public Policy, Politics, and Democratic Citizenship
- Public relations
- Rehabilitative Health Services
- Religious and ethical foundations of Society
- Rural and agricultural
- Safety in society
- Secondary agriculture
- The State’s sovereignty
- Traditions, History, and Legacies
- Transport, Operations, and Logistics
- Urban and Regional Studies
- Visual Arts
- Wholesale and retail
- Adult learning
- Building Construction
- Cleaning, Domestic, Hiring, Property, and Rescue Services
- Communication Studies
- Consumer Services
- Cultural Studies
- Curative Health
- Design Studies
- Drawing Office Practice
- Early childhood development
- Earth and Space Sciences
- Electrical infrastructure construction
- Engineering and Related Design
- Environmental relations
- Environmental Sciences
- Fabrication and extraction
- Film Television and Video
- Finance, Economics, and Accounting
- Forestry and wood technology
- General social science
- Generic management
- Higher Education and Training
What Benefits Does NSFAS Offer Students?
NSFAS (National Student Financial Aid Scheme) offers a range of benefits to students in South Africa to support their access to higher education. Some of the key benefits that NSFAS offers to students include:
In addition, NSFAS will cover the following expenses for students attending national universities:
- Tuition fees: If the student is academically good and passes all the modules within the course material, NSFAS will cover the course fee at any university, vocational training facility, or college.
- Accommodation: As a rule, NSFAS will cover only university residence accommodation, and will not cover any private accommodation costs if students exceed the university residence accommodation costs
- Transport: Students traveling up to 40km from a university will be eligible for funding, which typically amounts to R10 000 a year.
- Living allowance: Each student receives an R14 400 living allowance per year
- Book allowance: A book allowance of R5 000 will be provided to students each year
Check NSFAS N+2 Rule here.
Students studying at TVET institutions will be covered by NSFAS for the following:
- Accommodation: Urban students receive R24 000 a year, students living between the city center and the outskirts of the city receive R18 000 per year, and rural students receive R15 000.
- Transport: This cover only extends to students traveling up to 40 kilometers from their institution, with a budget of R10 000 per year.
- Personal care allowance: An additional R2 750 per year is paid for personal care.
- Personal care budget: Students living in catered residences receive R2 850 per annum for personal care
The maximum length of any NSFAS loan will be five years based on funding availability each year. The student will be responsible for paying for their own studies until they graduate if they change their course of study and take longer than five years to complete.
These benefits can help students pursue their educational goals and create a brighter future for themselves and their communities.
You can read the complete guide of How Much Does NSFAS Pay For Accommodation?
Nsfas Advantages And Disadvantages
Check out NSFAS advantages and disadvantages
Advantages of NSFAS
NSFAS has the biggest and most obvious advantage of covering all courses at any training facility, tertiary education institution, or vocational school. A student receiving the funding must continue to perform well academically and pass all modules in the course material to be eligible for full coverage.
It is important for students to understand that NSFAS covers only residence accommodation, such as university residences, and students will need to pay for private accommodation. In addition, only transportation costs will be covered if the student travels 40 kilometers to his or her educational institution. With NSFAS, there is also a living allowance and a book allowance, but there is a limit. A student recently received a living allowance of R14000 and a book allowance of R5000; these amounts are generous and should cover many of his or her expenses.
Disadvantages of NSFAS
NSFAS has the major disadvantage of not being available to all students who wish to study in South Africa. Students may also have a hard time managing their funds while they’re still studying because funds can take a long time to disburse regularly. In most cases, students should be able to avoid this if they manage their finances well.
NSFAS covers only a limited number of post-graduate degrees, so there is no guarantee that a student’s chosen course of study will be covered.
Orphan students will also face an additional obstacle in getting their funds disbursed since the social worker must sign secondary documents.
Do We Have to Pay NSFAS Back?
NSFAS is a funding scheme that is based on a loan based on the fact that it is a loan-based scheme. There was, however, a change in the system in 2018, when it was converted into a bursary-based system. In other words, if the student received NSFAS before 2018, the funds will have to be repaid. There is no need to repay the funds if they were received after 2018. Additionally, even if the student still has to pay back the loan, one of the biggest advantages is that these funds are not required to be repaid during the student’s study period.
Additionally, students who pass their first and second years of study can convert up to 40% of their NSFAS loan into a grant. A student in their final year of study may be able to convert their loan into a grant if they pass their final year. Students will also benefit from deferring interest charges while they are studying and will continue to defer them until they have left a public university after graduating.
The NSFAS funding will be awarded as a full bursary to TVET college students. There will be no need to pay anything back to these students, regardless of when they received their funding.
Reapplication and Registration for NSFAS 2023-2024
Applying and registering online for 2023 requires a myNSFAS account, which can be created or re-registered.
In order to complete the process, follow these steps:
- You can find more information about NSFAS on its website: www.nsfas.org.za
- On the NSFAS website, click “myNSFAS” in the upper right-hand corner.
- The myNSFAS page will display a welcome message: “Welcome to myNSFAS.”
- Re-register your myNSFAS account by entering your username (email address) and password
- If you would like to register, click on “Register”. It is essential that you have a copy of your South African ID or unbridged birth certificate before registering your profile.
- Please check the box if you would like NSFAS to verify and validate your information with a third party
- You will then need to enter your ID number as it appears on your ID
- Write your full name and surname according to your ID number in the space provided
- If you have a current email address, please enter it
- Validate your email address
- Don’t forget to enter your cellphone number
- Passwords should be chosen according to your preference
- Your password needs to be confirmed after that
- You should upload your ID document after copying it
- A one-time password will be sent to you once you register
- One Time Pins (OTPs) will be sent to your email address and cellphone number within 24 hours.
- When you have entered your OTP, click the submit button
- You have now completed the registration process for the NSFAS of 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about NSFAS Application 2023
What are the criteria for applying for NSFAS funding in 2023?
Eligibility requirements for NSFAS funding can be found here
In order to be eligible for admission, applicants must satisfy the following minimum entry requirements before applying:
1. It is a requirement that you are a South African citizen
2. As of 2023, you must be enrolled in or intend to enroll in an undergraduate degree program or intend to enroll in one
3. It is essential that you are enrolled in a public tertiary institution within South Africa (University or TVET College) or intend to enroll there.
4. A previous qualification must not have been completed by you
5. At least one of the following categories must apply to you:
i) You are a recipient of a SASSA grant.
ii) You do not have a combined household income that exceeds R350 000 per year for the combined household.
iii) You must be a disabled person and have a household income that does not exceed R600 000 per annum along with living with a disability.
iv) You must have been studying before 2018 and have a household income of not more than R122 000 per year and have started studying before 2018.
How much does NSFAS funding 2023 cover?
Registration and tuition fees are covered for NSFAS funded applicants in 2023. In addition to living expenses, learning materials, personal care, housing, and transportation allowances, you can also receive them as soon as the funding is verified. You can find out more about NSFAS qualifications and institutions at my nsfas.org.za.
What is the deadline for NSFAS applications for 2023?
The deadline for submitting an application for 2023 under the NSFAS is 31 January 2023. In case the student withdraws from the program and resubmits their application before the closing date or deadline, they will be able to resubmit their application. In order to progress through the financial progression track of the NSFAS, all students are required to reapply for funding at regular intervals.
How to retrieve my old password, username, and cellphone number if I already have an NSFAS account (myNSFAS)?
Using the following steps, you can reset your 2023 myNSFAS account login information:
1. You can find NSFA at www.nsfas.org.za
2. Click on ‘forgot password’ on ‘myNSFAS’ to reset your password
3. Enter your ID number
4. Password or username help is needed.
5. When done, click ‘Submit’
6. Your username and password change link will be sent to you via SMS and email.
7. By clicking the link, you will be redirected to the password reset page.
8. MyNSFAS account passwords can be reset by following the prompts.
What is the NSFAS funding process and where do I apply?
The steps above will guide you in applying for NSFAS funding in 2023 by visiting my nsfas.org.za from your mobile phone, tablet, or computer and following the instructions. In the event that you do not have the opportunity to take advantage of the internet or a computer, you may still be able to apply by visiting the NYDA or Thusong Centers in your area.
Can I apply for NSFAS funding in 2023 after my application was denied last year?
Your NSFAS application must be reapplied if you met the eligibility requirements for funding in 2023, but were not approved in 2022, 2023, or any subsequent year.
What is the NSFAS accommodation for 2023?
Beginning 31 August 2023, students can no longer move between landlords in the last quarter of the academic year. A monthly list of movers and movers will be provided to HRA by landlords.
How much does NSFAS pay?
For students in urban locations, NSFAS provides 24,000 South African Rand annually in accommodation allowance, while peri-urban and rural students receive 18,900 and 15,750 South African Rand, respectively.
How long does NSFAS pay for accommodation?
The NSFAS allowance will be paid every month during the first week of the month for a period of 10 months.
How much does NSFAS pay for private accommodation?
In 2023, NSFAS will cap the annual allowance for tertiary students living in accredited private accommodation at R45,000, which is causing many students to struggle to find lodging.
How often does NSFAS pay?
There is a monthly payment for NSFAS allowances. This will generally be paid out every month for 10 months beginning in 2023
How long can I use NSFAS?
Depending on funding availability, NSFAS will only support you for a maximum of five years if you qualify according to the means test. It will be your responsibility to pay for yourself until you graduate if you change courses frequently and it takes you longer than five years to complete your qualification.
How long does it take for NSFAS to expire?
There is no expiration date on NSFAS Wallet vouchers. You will receive your change if you do not withdraw the entire amount of your voucher.
How long does it take to receive NSFAS?
There are a variety of factors to consider, including your living status, citizenship, and academic history. For your application to be reviewed by someone at NSFAS, it takes on average a few days or weeks.
Can I withdraw NSFAS at an ATM?
A Nedbank ATM or other Nedbank-branded outlets such as Pick ‘n Pay, Shoprite, Checkers, Boxer, and Usave are available for students to withdraw Nsfas allowances.
Consequently, checking your NSFAS application status online in 2023 can be a convenient and fast way to find out how your application is progressing. Your application can be tracked online, updates and changes can be viewed, and you can keep up-to-date on the outcome of your application. With the online portal, you can check the status of your NSFAS application more quickly and efficiently than with traditional methods.
To avoid delays or complications in the processing of your application, you must ensure that the information you provide is accurate and current. Managing your financial aid application and planning for future educational expenses can be a breeze when you check the status of your NSFAS application online.
Also check NSFAS Appeal