The COVID-19 pandemic resulted in massive job losses and financial distress for millions of South Africans. To provide relief, the government introduced the Special COVID-19 Social Relief of Distress (SRD) Grant in 2020, commonly known as the R350 grant. The South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) administers this vital grant on behalf of the Department of Social Development.
As an applicant, it’s essential to check your SASSA status regularly to get updates on your application and payments. This article provides a comprehensive guide on how to check your SASSA status for the R350 grant online and through other convenient methods.
What is the SASSA Status Check?
The SASSA status check is an online service that allows R350 grant applicants to view the status of their application. It displays useful information like whether your application is approved, pending or declined.
You can also see payment dates for the months your grant is approved. Checking your status regularly allows you to stay up-to-date on your application progress and upcoming payments.
SASSA Status Check for R350 Grant Online
You can easily check your SASSA status online through the official platforms. Here are two simple ways:
On the SASSA SRD Website
- Go to SASSA.org.za
- Enter your ID number and cell phone number
- Click ‘Check Status’ and view your status
This method is easy and convenient way to check your status anywhere, anytime.
SASSA Status Check via Mobile App
For added convenience, you can use the SASSA Moya app to check your status without internet or data costs.
- Download the SASSA Moya app
- Open the app and go to ‘Application Status’
- Enter your ID and cell number
- View your status on-screen
The mobile app makes it easy to monitor your SASSA status on-the-go.
SASSA Status Check via WhatsApp
You can also check your status easily using the SASSA WhatsApp support line.
- Save the number 082 046 8553 on your phone
- Send ‘Status’ to the number on WhatsApp
- Enter your ID number when prompted
- You will receive a message with your status
WhatsApp provides a convenient way to get your status updates anytime.
Call the SASSA Contact Centre
For personal assistance, call 0800 601 011 and speak to a SASSA agent to check your status. Provide your ID number and registered cell number. This is helpful if you require additional guidance.
Visit a SASSA Office
Your nearest SASSA office can also assist you in person with status checks. Take your ID and registered cellphone. An agent will access your status on the system.
SASSA Status Check Meanings Explained
Once you check your status, it’s essential to understand what the different statuses mean:
- Approved – Your grant is approved for the stated months. Check SMS for payment dates.
- Pending – Your application is still being reviewed. Check back regularly.
- Declined – Your application was rejected. Appeal if you disagree.
- Failed – Verification issue. Visit SASSA to resolve.
- Bank Details Pending – Add your bank details to receive payment.
- Period Pending – Under review for that month. Check back again.
- Period Approved – Payment confirmed for that month.
- Period Declined – Rejected for that month only.
- Information Needed – Complete your application details.
Understanding the meaning of your status enables you to take appropriate action.
SASSA Status Check for R350 Payment Dates
Once approved, your status will display the months your grant is approved and paid. This confirms your payment dates for upcoming months.
It’s crucial to check before paydays as the dates may vary each month. Your status will specify the exact payment date for collecting your funds that month.
You can also view SASSA Status Check for R350 Payment Dates on the SASSA website showing monthly paydays for ongoing grants. Compare your status payment dates to stay informed.
SASSA Appeal for R350 Grant Applications
If your initial R350 application gets declined by SASSA, you have the right to SASSA Appeal if you still qualify. Here is how the appeal process works:
Lodging Your Appeal
- Appeal within 90 days of being declined
- Provide your personal details and reason for appealing
- Submit any supporting documents
- Send your appeal application to SASSA
The Independent Tribunal for Social Assistance Appeals (ITSAA) will handle your appeal.
Monitoring Your Appeal Status
- Check your status regularly after appealing
- It will show as ‘Referred’ while being reviewed
- You will receive an outcome SMS from SASSA
- If approved, your status will update to ‘Approved’
Appealing a declined grant is your recourse to get reconsideration if you still meet the criteria. Be sure to monitor your status for the appeal outcome.
SASSA Reapplication Process
As the R350 grant is temporary, you need to reapply every month to confirm you still meet the criteria. Here is how the reapplication process works:
- Must reapply before the 5th of each month
- Use the same process as initial application
- Provide updated personal and financial details
- Submit reapplication before cut-off date
Check Reapplication Status
- Status will show as ‘Reapplication Pending’
- Check regularly for updates
- Will see status for each month after reapplying
- Ensure you reapply every month before deadline
Reapplying is compulsory to keep receiving your SASSA grant monthly. Be diligent in submitting your reapplication and checking status each month.
How to Collect SASSA R350 Payments
Once approved, you need to know how and where to collect your SASSA funds on paydays:
- Receive your approved status with payment dates
- Get an SMS notification confirming payday
- Collect at Post Office branches
- Pick up at designated stores like Boxer, Pick n Pay, Shoprite
- Via money transfer at Cash Send, PEP stores, etc.
Ensure you have identification documents when collecting payments. Know your payment options ahead of time.
SASSA Balance Check
You can check your SASSA card balance by dialing 1203279# to confirm available funds before withdrawing. Do regular balance checks before paydays.
Why is SASSA Status Declined?
There are a few common reasons your R350 application may be declined by SASSA:
- Income above threshold of R624 per month
- Receiving UIF or NSFAS benefits
- Failed means test
- Age outside 18 to 60 years bracket
- Details don’t match Home Affairs records
If you disagree with the reasons for being declined, you can lodge an appeal against the decision by providing supporting documents.
Why is SASSA Status Pending?
You may see a ‘Pending’ status due to:
- Application still being processed
- Undergoing eligibility verification
- Monthly reapplication not yet reviewed
- Waiting on outcome of an appeal
Be patient and keep checking back. Submit any documents requested to help finalize the outcome.
SASSA Status Help Contact Details
If you need assistance with your SASSA status or payments, you can contact SASSA directly via:
- Toll-free call center: 0800 60 10 11
- Email: [email protected]
- Website support: srd.sassa.gov.za
- WhatsApp: 082 046 8553
- Visit your nearest SASSA office
The call center and offices provide an opportunity to engage directly with SASSA agents to resolve status issues and provide documents where required. Email and WhatsApp enable you to send written queries and get assistance conveniently.
SASSA Status Check – Conclusion
Checking your SASSA status frequently is key to staying updated on your R350 grant application progress and securing approved payments smoothly.
This guide covers the various options available to check your status quickly, understand status meanings, take correct actions when needed, and get helpful resources for any issues.
Be diligent in performing regular SASSA status checks throughout your grant application process. This will ensure you avoid obstacles, resolve problems timeously, and continue to qualify for monthly payments if eligible.